Lisa Fischer is one of the celebrity spellers for Thursday night’s Spellebration. And she’s nervous! She has some real competition for this event. Kim Henderson from Henderson Catering was on with us to talk about the event. Here’s the link.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 4-5 pound chuck roast (look for good marbling)
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease (olive oil or vegetable oil will work as well)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- ½ pound carrots peeled and cut into 2″ chunks
- ½ pound Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks
- ½ large red onion, sliced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 bottle beer (IPAs work great!)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- minced parsley optional, to garnish
- Season the chuck roast with Kosher salt and pepper (or your favorite seasoning)
- Heat your pan and add the bacon grease. When it’s hot, add the seasoned roast and brown on all sides.
- In your slow cooker add the carrots, potatoes and onion.
- Lay the beef on top, then add the beef broth and beer. (You can add a small amount of water to the pan and add this to the slow cooker as well!) Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.
- When roast is finished cooking, remove from slow cooker along with veggies. Mix together cornstarch and water. Add leftover liquid to a small saucepan with the cornstarch/water mixture. Cook on high for 2-3 minutes until the liquid has thickened into a gravy.
- Pour the gravy over the meat and garnish with parsley if desired. Serve with potatoes and carrots.